POST-TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR EXTRACTIONS
- For the first 48 hours you should maintain a diet of soft foods, such as Jello, pudding, mashed potatoes, yogurt, cream of wheat, protein drinks/shakes, vegetable juices, fruit smoothies, etc
- Cut food into small pieces to ease chewing. Return to normal diet as tolerated. Eating immediately after the extraction is not recommended, wait until the numbness has worn off.
- Try to keep food away from the extraction site.
- Avoid hot liquids during the first 24 hours
- Avoid food that crumbles such as potato chips, popcorn, crackers, cookies, etc.
- Avoid hot, spicy foods. This will prevent irritation and burns of the extraction site
- Avoid sticky foods, such as taffy, caramel, etc.
- Do not drink through a straw. This will promote bleeding and may dislodge the blood clot
- Do not drink alcohol 48 hours after the surgery
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products for at least 7 days. Smoke will interfere with the healing process, promote bleeding and can cause a very painful situation called a "dry socket". Continuing to smoke during these first few days will slow healing and soft tissue will not be able to begin to fill in the socket to form the blood clot needed for healthy healing.
- Avoid vigorous rinsing and spitting for 24 hours after extraction. This is to ensure formation of a blood clot.
- After the first 24 hours, very gently rinse the extraction area 4 times a day using warm salt water (1 tablespoon sale in 8oz of warm water).
- Rinse very gently after every meal and snack, making sure that the water reaches the extraction site. Rinsing removes food particles and debris from the socket to help promote healing.
Some swelling may occur post-treatment. Any swelling that occurs can be kept to a minimum by placing an ice pack on your face in the area of the extraction site for increments of 10 minutes
POST-WHITENING CARE INSTRUCTIONS
For the next 48 hours, dark staining substances should be avoided:
- coffee and/or tea
- berry pie
- tobacco products
- red wine
- red sauces
- mustard or ketchup
- soy sauce
Additional ways to maintain your sparkling ZOOMsmile:
- Avoid staining related habits
- Use an automated toothbrush
- Seek regular professional dental hygiene care to maintain oral health. Keep staining to a minimum and determine the need for whitening touch-ups.
- Practice good oral hygiene including thorough tooth brushing, flossing to remove debris from between the teeth, and tongue cleaning. We will assist you in selecting the products to maintain not only a white smile, but a healthy one as well.